(updated 07 April) Prostate Cancer Canada Network Ottawa (PCCNO) is pleased to announce the speakers and program for its first ever conference to be held in Ottawa, September 15 – 16, 2017:
The conference, “Discover the Future”, will highlight the remarkable advances in surgical, radiation and pharmaceutical therapies, as well as the benefits of complemenary and holistic approaches in the treatment of prostate cancer. Activities begin with a reception and registration on the evening of September 15. The conference continues Saturday, September 16 with a full day program which includes a catered breakfast and lunch.
- Organizers are delighted with the endorsement of the conference by our honorary Chair, Allan Rock, former President of the University of Ottawa and Canada’s Ambassador to the United Nations.
- PCCNO has been developing the program in collaboration with Dr. Chris Morash, Head of Urologic Oncology and Medical Director of the Prostate Cancer Assessment Centre at The Ottawa Hospital. Ottawa has world class medical practitioners and researchers; our association with The Ottawa Hospital is a cornerstone to the success of the conference. Expert urologic oncology speakers will include Dr. Ilias Cagiannos, Dr. Rodney Breau and Dr. Luke Lavallee. All are nationally and internationally recognized experts in prostate cancer treatment and research and surgeons at The Ottawa Hospital. Topics that will be covered include active surveillance, technological advances in diagnosis and treatment, cutting edge research and the latest in treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
- Pamela Fralick, President of Innovative Medicines Canada will deliver a keynote presentation. A proven health care leader and former CEO of the Canadian Cancer Society, Ms. Fralick has a wealth of experience advancing health care initiatives. Representing the national voice of Canada’s innovative pharmaceutical industry, Ms. Fralick will highlight how the discovery, development and commercialization of innovative medicines are improving the lives of all Canadians.
- The conference will also examine the broad spectrum of whole person care that is available to prostate cancer patients and their families, It will include a presentation from the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation about the Cancer Coaching Health and Social Care Service they have developed. This service, as well as the programs available at the Maplesoft Centre, are first class and offer immeasurable support and comfort to persons dealing with cancer.
- Dr. Dugald Seely, founder and Executive Director of The Ottawa Integrative Cancer Centre’s (OICC) will speak to conference participants about how complementary cancer care offered alongside conventional treatment has become important in the care and well-being of prostate cancer patients and their families. Dr. Seely is a naturopathic doctor and plays a leading role in helping develop the field of integrative and naturopathic oncology. Ottawa Integrative Cancer Centre (OICC) is the first integrative cancer care and research centre of its kind in Central and Eastern Canada.
- Dr. Rob Rutledge, a Radiation Oncologist in Halifax, Nova Scotia, specializing in breast, prostate and pediatric cancers will deliver our final keynote address. An Associate Professor in the Faculty of Medicine at Dalhousie University, Dr. Rutledge leads the Healing and Cancer Foundation, a Registered Charity that freely offers educational videos, documentaries, and webcasting seminars. He is co-author of the book “The Healing Circle”, which captures the teachings and inspirational stories gathered from weekend retreats hosted by the Foundation.