Welcome to The Walnut!
The Walnut is the official newsletter for PCCN Ottawa, currently published approximately four times a year.
Every issue includes:
- Recaps of PCCNO meetings and events
- Announcements about upcoming meetings and events
- Health and nutrition news
- Survivor stories
- Updates on new, innovative prostate and recurrent cancer treatment
- Research and diagnostics
- Photos, funny moments…and anything else we can come up with!
Get your copy of The Walnut
The Walnut is available on our website as a free downloadable PDF file.
Contact the editor
In this issue, we explore the importance of promoting awareness and early diagnosis, look at how the Movember movement is helping to raise awareness and funds for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer, testicular cancer and men’s mental health.
We also provide some statistics, look at the good work being done by True NTH, and the “Famous Fingers” awareness initiative.Download this issue
The Walnut: Recent issues
In this issue, we look at:
- How caregivers can help to meet the psycho-social needs of patients as part of a comprehensive treatment approach
- The impact of caregiving on families and friends
- How caregivers can find support themselves to continue the crucial and sometimes difficult roles they play
Values and Preferences as Part of Treatment Decisions
This issue looks at “big picture” of values and our health system, exploring:
- The perspectives of health care providers
- How vital it is that treatment and care take into account the individual needs, preferences and values of men facing treatment decisions
Prostate Cancer and Mental Health
In this issue, we explore:
- How depression, stress, fatigue, pain and psycho-social factors affect men with prostate cancer
- Anxiety pre-testing and while awaiting test results
- How confusion over various interventions adds to anxiety and depression
- How men and their loved ones can get mental health support
Prevention and Early Detection
This issue discusses:
- How early diagnosis of cancer is the key to improving survival rates
- Some of the risk factors for prostate cancer
- Methods and potential benefits of screening
- Some emerging new screening tests
Prostate Cancer Canada is proud to be one of Movember’s Canadian beneficiary partners. Through this relationship we are advancing prostate cancer research and support services for men and their families living with the disease.
In this issue, we look at how the Movember movement is helping to raise awareness and funds for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer, testicular cancer and men’s mental health.
Get involved with PCCN Ottawa.
Prostate Cancer Canada Network Ottawa is 100% volunteer-run.
Help promote prostate cancer awareness
Prostate Cancer Canada Network Ottawa provides speakers, professionally designed display units and accompanying literature for use at health fairs, sporting events, in shopping malls…any place people gather.
Contact us for more information on hosting an awareness event!
You can help protect men and their families from prostate cancer.