Welcome to The Walnut!
The Walnut is the official newsletter for PCN Ottawa, currently published approximately four times a year.
Every issue includes:
- Recaps of PCNO meetings and events
- Announcements about upcoming meetings and events
- Health and nutrition news
- Survivor stories
- Updates on new, innovative prostate and recurrent cancer treatment
- Research and diagnostics
- Photos, funny moments…and anything else we can come up with!
Get your copy of The Walnut
The Walnut is available on our website as a free downloadable PDF file.
Contact the editor
The best thing that might be said about 2020 is that it’s over. Vaccines for a virus we had barely even heard of a year ago are now approved and being administered to Canadians.
In this issue, we will bring you the latest information about the leading vaccines and how they might affect you, whether you are a current or a former prostate cancer patient. There’s a lot to absorb, and I hope I have separated the wheat from the chaff.Download this issue
The Walnut: Recent issues
The Art and Science of Diagnosis
In this issue, we provide:
- An overview of the wide variety of diagnostic tests and procedures in use today
- Expert opinions and analysis on the efficacy of options available
- Advice on dealing with the personal aspects of a prostate cancer diagnosis
Spotlight on Treatments
This issue discusses:
- An overview of treatment options—including genetic links to the disease, immunotherapies and other emerging treatments
- The role of clinical trials in testing new treatment options
- Personal accounts from a cancer survivor in Ottawa who has participated in a clinical trial, and from an Ottawa oncologist involved in clinical trials
Special Conference Issue
The PCCNO conference, “Prostate Cancer—Discover the Future” was held in Ottawa September 15-16, 2017. This issue provides:
- Event highlights
- Links to video clips
- Recap of speakers and panelists
In this issue, we look at:
- How caregivers can help to meet the psycho-social needs of patients as part of a comprehensive treatment approach
- The impact of caregiving on families and friends
- How caregivers can find support themselves to continue the crucial and sometimes difficult roles they play
Values and Preferences as Part of Treatment Decisions
This issue looks at “big picture” of values and our health system, exploring:
- The perspectives of health care providers
- How vital it is that treatment and care take into account the individual needs, preferences and values of men facing treatment decisions
Get involved with PCN Ottawa.
Prostate Cancer Canada Network Ottawa is 100% volunteer-run.
Help promote prostate cancer awareness
Prostate Cancer Canada Network Ottawa provides speakers, professionally designed display units and accompanying literature for use at health fairs, sporting events, in shopping malls…any place people gather.
Contact us for more information on hosting an awareness event!
You can help protect men and their families from prostate cancer.